Elkhorn Hills UMC members Darla Langendorfer and Sherri Kaufmann recently returned from a mission trip to West Kauai UMC in Kekaha, HI, organized and led by Pastor Tyler Kaufmann of Lenexa UMC, Lenexa, KS. Here are some details about their amazing trip.
Thank you Darla and Sherri for sharing your photos and your comments about the Mission Trip.
Mission Trip Purpose
- Connect with our United Methodist brothers and sisters in another part of the world, by opening ourselves up to learn about the way they express their faith within their culture and endeavor to gain new perspectives on our own cultural mores back home.
- Aid and support our brothers and sisters in their mission on Kauai to “build up disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.”
- Waimea Town Celebration (8 day long cultural celebration, which is Kauai’s oldest and largest festival on Kauai’s west side) where we learned from the locals how to prepare food for sale, make leis and other crafts for sale, and set up booths.
- Construction and landscaping. We aided the local congregation with building projects primarily focusing on Kekaha church and parsonage.
- Record and transcribe Mr. B’s music (Bind hymn book at Lenexa UMC)
- Visit local cultural hot spots.