Advent is a special season in the Christian church. It is a time of expectant waiting and preparation for the celebration of the Nativity of Jesus at Christmas. The season of Advent begins the Western liturgical year and commences on the fourth Sunday before December 25. This year Advent begins on Sunday, November 30.
Our church has planned special Advent activities to celebrate and prepare for this special season. These Advent activities include:
- Special gifts for the children. Every Sunday of Advent, children attending children’s time during worship will receive a free gift. (Nov. 30th, Dec. 7th, Dec. 14th, and Dec. 21st).
- Gingerbread Houses! This is a tradition at Elkhorn Hills. Sunday school children & youth can build gingerbread houses in the Family Life Center during the Sunday school hour (10:15 am) on Sunday, November 30th.
- Decorating for the season. We call this “The Hanging of the Greens.” Help us prepare our church home for the joyous holiday season. This will take place on Sunday, November 30th after the 10:15 service. Lunch (a potato bar) at 11:30, decorating at 12:30, and wassail & cookies when church is decorated. Craft activities are planned for the children. Make this a family event!
- Sunday, December 14th our special holiday tradition: The Christmas Cantata. Lift your voice and spirits with musical performances at the 9 a.m. and 10:15 a.m. services. Afterward, select holiday treats from our Cookie Walk as a fundraiser for Elkhorn Hills Preschool.
- Christmas Eve Services — Sunday, December 24th
4:00 p.m. Family Service ; 6:00 p.m. Candlelight Service; 11:00 p.m. Candlelight Service with Communion
- Sunday, January 4th Children’s Epiphany Play and Three Kings Feast. A special inspirational program performed by the youngest members of our church. Program begins at 5 p.m. Join us!